Anyways I've finally found the time to put an update out on Manatee Quest's status after concluding my first semester at MSU.
The above screen shot shows a close up to the cabbage I modeled in Maya. I've got a simple rotator script on them right now but I think I might write a script to make them bob up and down for a better effect. I also have a working counter that displays on the game HUD which is visible in the following shots.
Also in this shot is a cube that I hooked a rigid body onto and got Unity's physics engine interacting with the Manatee properly. This is a result of fiddling with the Manatee's collider because Unity would not allow me to turn it's Character Controller collider sideways. In the end I'm satisfied with the result, which you can see demonstrated in the final shot.