Thursday, October 30, 2008

Starbucks

My friend Trusty bought me Starbucks yesterday because I went with him to buy a board game and then gave him advice on what to order at said Starbucks.  I had to remark that I found it amusing that the one thing he has chosen to ask me about for advice was Starbucks.  What really intrigues me about the whole situation was that "coffee literacy" seems so natural now.  A conversation comparing the deliciousness of different coffee drinks seems integral and normal when a trip to Starbucks or Biggby's is made, but a person who doesn't have any knowledge of delicious coffee drinks is a person that is hard to find.

Some people think that Starbucks has built too many stores (I believe Starbucks management shares that sentiment), yet I'm not sure that I've ever been in a Starbucks that was empty of customers.  They may have cost themselves some of their profits by building so many stores, but I think another result is the very deep integration of Starbucks coffee into the culture of many communities, to the point where unfamiliarity with Starbucks seems like a foreign concept.  Which results with many people like myself and Trusty spending our hard earned cash on expensive coffee.  Maybe I should pick up smoking too so that I can really be broke.

My delicious coffee drink of choice: Starbucks Mocha Frappuccino.

No comments:

Post a Comment